Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #67
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I actually agree with Pricejj here. I think Datone Jones is a solid player, but if the broncos intend to replace Doom with a Doom like pass rusher, then Moore is a better fit. I like him too. Regardless of the combine, he's got a good motor on the field.
UCLA was running a 3-4 defense last year and Jones lined up everywhere on that line. How many 3-4 ends and nose tackles do you see having insane pass rushing numbers? Not many. The sheer fact that the dude had nearly 20 tackles for loss proves he has the ability to get in the backfield and make plays. If he was in a 4-3 defense where he could go after the quarterback more, he would have much better pass rushing numbers. His 2011 season was after a foot fracture, so that explains to me that he was still getting back in the groove after missing the 2010 season.

I would not bet against Datone Jones. He is extremely athletic, gets up the field quickly and disrupts the run and pass game well. He also puts his hands up and deflects balls if he knows he isn't going to make it to the QB. He is a cerebral player with a great mental grasp of the game. If the Broncos were willing to take a guy like Malik Jackson who had similar experience moving inside and out on their defensive fronts, I would expect Jones (who is a better prospect and just as versatile) to catch the eyes of the coaches.

Why people are getting caught up with the whole LDE/RDE, etc. thing is beyond me. If you don't think that the coaches can tweek schematics in order to play to the strengths of those on the field. . . well. . . I just don't know what to say. Jones is going to have a much better career as a pro if he stays at end and gets to grow there.

Will he ever be a 15+ sack guy in the NFL? Probably not. Few are. But I think the guy has the potential to be a complete end who offers quality support against the run and the pass. 8-10 sacks a year, but a lot of TFL and the ability to be more stout against the run than Dumervil was.

Just my 2 cents. As I said, pricejj needs to stop looking at just production and actually understand how scheme and player responsibility and assignments can impact that.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote