View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #38
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
I always find Levitt's stuff interesting. You can label him but he uses economics, a social science, to look at social issues as opposed to just monetary issues. He is also a professor of economics at the premier economics school in the country at the University of Chicago. When I taught economics I used his stuff for enrichment and had several students go on to major in economics because of our study of Freakenomics. There is a free course guide and curriculum for the book. Much of their stuff is controversial and provocative but a fun read nonetheless.

I could not find the article on the Freakenomics blog. I found a post by Dubner, Freakenomics coauther, that a read makes the claim, sort of.
http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/03/...human-history/

There are also plenty of economical arguements for vegetarians too.

As for a Schlosser Levitt debate....that would be interesting. Levitt has been attacked by realtors, police, politicians, etc. He is an intelligent guy too, and can make very compelling arguements. Don't discount him.
I'm not discounting Levitt at all. I've read Freakonomics and would value his opinion on a variety of subjects. Actually the fact that I was interested in reading his argument, if it existed, that a McDonald's sandwich is the most nutritious thing you could buy for the money, is a testament to how much I value his opinion. Because it's a ridiculous statement and it deserves to be discounted off hand, and would have been had it been attributed to most other sources.

Turns out of course that the argument does not exist and was falsely attributed to him (unless there is another blog besides the one you posted). The Schlosser Levitt debate probably wouldn't happen because I doubt Levitt is foolish enough to make that argument.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote