View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #36
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
Sounds like hipster contrarianism to me, but if you post a link I'd give it a fair read. Anyway I generally don't look to fellas with a Ph.D in economics as an expert on nutrition. I'm fairly certain Eric Schlosser would kill him in a debate on the subject.
I always find Levitt's stuff interesting. You can label him but he uses economics, a social science, to look at social issues as opposed to just monetary issues. He is also a professor of economics at the premier economics school in the country at the University of Chicago. When I taught economics I used his stuff for enrichment and had several students go on to major in economics because of our study of Freakenomics. There is a free course guide and curriculum for the book. Much of their stuff is controversial and provocative but a fun read nonetheless.

I could not find the article on the Freakenomics blog. I found a post by Dubner, Freakenomics coauther, that a read makes the claim, sort of.
http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/03/...human-history/

There are also plenty of economical arguements for vegetarians too.

As for a Schlosser Levitt debate....that would be interesting. Levitt has been attacked by realtors, police, politicians, etc. He is an intelligent guy too, and can make very compelling arguements. Don't discount him.

Last edited by tesnyde; 03-23-2013 at 07:35 AM..
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote