View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #258
Ring of Famer
errand's Avatar
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,808

Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Except the average Joe has no need for a fully automatic weapon.
the "average joe" cannot purchase a fully automatic weapon......

Class 3 firearms include machine guns, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, suppressors, destructive devices and Any Other Weapons (AOWs).

The tax for privately manufacturing any class 3 firearms is $200.

Transferring requires a $200 tax for all class 3s except AOW’s, for which the transfer tax is $5.

To legally possess a class 3 weapon you must complete a transfer of registration within the NFA registry.

There are two ways for you to legally buy a class 3 gun. The first is by transfer after approval by ATF of a registered weapon from its lawful owner residing in the same State as the transferee. The second is by obtaining prior approval from ATF to make NFA firearms.

Now you know how people can legally own them....they go thru background checks via ATF, pay their "tax", and go thru all the hoops the government says they have to......
errand is offline   Reply With Quote