View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You can eat healthy at an extremely affordable price. I know I do.
I'm guessing the demands on time and budget for a single male in his 20s might be different than that of a family of four or more, particularly if both parents are working. I know they are a lot different for me now with a wife and two kids than when I was single in college. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be for us if we had less money or if both of us worked. Or if, heaven forbid, something happened to one of us and the other had to raise the kids by themselves. Sorry, it's just cheaper and easier to feed yourselves crap.

But pull yourselves up by your bootstraps though, right?

Edit: And this is all working from the backgrounds that you and I have. I don't know about you, but I come from a large middle class family. I had a safety net. If not for family and friends that I was born with through no action of my own, I would have been homeless no fewer than twice. There is a significant portion of the population who grow up with no safety net. They are the ones liberals are talking about when we say there is NO equality of opportunity. Meanwhile, conservatives who have never known poverty say things like "God helps those who help themselves" without realizing the poor have no boots, let alone straps.

Then they get angry when there are no perceived results and blame the poor themselves, and say things like "'Murrica guarantees equal opportunity, NOT equal results." They don't even understand the problem.

Last edited by houghtam; 03-21-2013 at 10:50 AM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote