View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #1322
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I think it's pretty risky. He ruptured a vein in his heart from a football collision. Most people die, he didn't, which was great. The problem is that he wants to continue to play a physically violent sport and has residual damage inside his heart that is likely going to make him a high risk of re-tearing his IVC on high impact contact.

From all accounts, the NFL and the world at large, has not seen someone survive this type of injury and then choose to participate in an extreme physical contact sport. Everything is going to be theorycrafted on this.

Who knows how it works out, but it's an insanely risky draft selection to me. Look how cautious teams are being with concussions now. Jahvid Best is dying to play football, and no team wants to risk playing him. I see some parallels with this situation. Which team is going to want to risk a player dying on the field?

And to top it all off, Hayden was just a two year starter at Houston coming from JUCO. He was a good player and has solid measureables, but he's not an elite prospect by any stretch. In a pretty deep CB draft, his draft value is probably right around now if he was completely healthy.

I honestly don't think he gets drafted. I'm not even sure a team will invite him to camp. We'll see how it all shakes out. This is another guy to watch on draft day now.
I don't agree that it's a huge risk. Probably 2/3 of the guys who go in the 5th round won't be in the league in three years. So, if he doesn't pan out, it's not a huge whiff. Also, while it was a near miracle that he survived his injury (I think I read it's common in car accidents, and results in death 95% of the time), I haven't read anything that suggests that there is a high risk of him re-aggravating the injury. If he had a clean bill of health, he's a 2nd round guy, easy. In the 5th, I think the potential reward exceeds the risk.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote