View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #62
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Uhm. Actually, it's fairly high. Historically, the lowest rates of recidivism (for people leaving prison after serving sentences for serious crimes) are among people convicted of homicides. Why, I don't know. It's not just an age thing, because even back in the days when you could get 6-8 years for a 2d degree murder, and half that for heat of passion manslaughter, it was still true. Maybe they just get it out of their system.

Also, I don't know about other states, but in Colorado, hardly anyone gets out of prison after being convicted of a serious sex offense. They carry indeterminate life sentences, and, before they are released, the parole board has to certify that they wil probably never commit another crime. The parole board rarely does that. I know that from about 2000-2009 there were about 1,000 people in Colorado sentenced under the lifetime act and only 5 or 6 were paroled. At least a couple of those had their parole revoked for noncompliance with some condition.

Oddly, you can get probation instead of prison for a sex offense, but many of those people get revoked as well. And then it's indeterminate life.

Um actually no it isn't. i worked 5 years for the public defender and have read numerous studies on it. Being put back in prison for non compliance with laws almost impossible to follow is my point. Going back to prison because you got caught walking through a park is not repeating your offense. Although many studies try to count that as such to prove a point. My whole point was its not the right policy to make so many laws about where and how they can live that it basically forces them to lie and violate probabtion to live.

But if you like we can start posting studies on it and debate further.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote