Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I agree to a point. But if you don't have speed, you'd better have agility, explosion, balance, or some other attribute to make you successful. At least if you run a 4.4, we know you can run in a straight line for a touchdown if the Red Sea parts. Emmitt was very agile and had incredible balance, he also had one of the best O-lines ever. TD had great balance and explosion, but also played in a superb system with elite O-linemen. Morris actually tested well in the agility drills, he was just somewhat slow, and he's in Shanahan's system with defenses keying on Griffin's playactions.

Scheme can make a RB, and scheme made Johnson successful at Stanford, just like it did with Gerhart before him. I agree with your point that if a RB fits a scheme, that team should draft him. But, they should draft him at the right draft value. I am hesitant to believe in Johnson at the NFL level though due to his lack of athleticism in every conceivable way. Intelligence and toughness can only get you so far. We'll see how far it can get you with Johnson's career in the year(s) to come.
I totally agree about the agility and explosion. However, some of that IS mental and is anticipation. Not being the fastest or quickest physically does not mean you can not have agility or explosion on the field. Jerry Rice was not horribly athletic coming out, but his cuts and explosion on the field were Legendary. He did this mentally, not physically. Same thing with Emmit Smith. Same thing with Morris.

Watch his tape, his cuts, his blocking set up, and then his explosion through the hole. Tell me he looks slow. If you still think that, well we just have to stop there. To me, he has all the agility and explosion to average 5 yards a carry in the NFL, despite NOT getting to pad his numbers with 80 yard TD runs. He also excels in short yardage getting lean as well as any back i have seen in awhile. That is what I see.

And by Johnson. I think you meant Taylor right?
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote