View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I think Lacy is the guy I would throw my 1st round pick at if available. The great thing about Bama, they run a lot of the same formations Peyton Manning does. You can see the 3 WR sets, you can see ace formation, you can see ace w/ strong motion, and he runs a lot of from weak formations, something we try to do as well to keep defenses off-balance.

He's not a sexy back. Ok speed, very good quickness for a guy his size. Hands are average but can keep the defense honest. Isn't polished as a blocker but has a huge frame which normally gets the job done for him. He will get better, with better coaching there.

Drafting a guy like this while many will scream value later in the draft is that guaranteed affect on the team. 3rd and shorts aren't a question anymore. He has the power to go through you but enough quickness in the phone booth to make somebody miss and still get that 1st down. The great close quarter backs can do it. I imagine he'd have a Alstott like impression on this team. Play 7 or 8 in the box and Peyton is going to eat them alive. Play with 6 in the box and Lacy is going to break off 4-5 yds consistently with the opportunity for much more.

Ultimately this team is built around Manning and his improv skills. So give him the tools to keep teams honest and we'll put up 35 ppg. The defense is setup where you have 3 very good cornerbacks, some solid safety play, LB's are good-ok but also an area that's easy to find players at in the draft, and you have a solid defensive front, no worse than last year even without doom as Ayers & Wolfe are going to be going into another season with more experience.

Score, score, score and the defense should force a bunch of sacks and turnovers next year.
Who is not a sexy back? Lacy has been timed in the low 4.4s while at Alabama. Let his hamstring heal, if he runs in the 4.4 range before the draft, the Steelers are a lock to take him at 17 overall. His agility is off the charts, his burst is elite, he's physical and plays to contact. His best games are against the best teams in the biggest situations. I like him more than Richardson and Ingram.

If he's still there when Denver picks, Fox will take him in a nano-second, just like he did with Jonathan Stewart. Hopefully we'll be so lucky. I have Lacy in the elite tier. The next best RB, someone amongst Franklin, Bell, and Bernard, are a couple tiers lower, in the solid-good range.

For Denver to have a shot at him though, we need him to stay hurt. Maybe that's what he enjoyed his interview with Denver so much at the Combine, we probably told him "Eddie, hey man, we'll draft you to be the starting RB on a Superbowl team, but you have to *wink**wink* tweak your hammy and not workout whatsoever so we can get you".
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote