View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They really believe they are a 14 win team that was held back by a bad QB and coach.

They won two games by a total point differential of -214, their worst in their entire history. For perspective, the 0-16 Lions were -249.

Andy Reid is an upgrade as is Alex Smith, but they're all telling each other that the division will "go down to the wire between the Broncos and the Chiefs."

I've found that aside from every team fanbase overestimating themselves every preseason, fans of particularly horrid franchises - which the Chiefs have become - tend overestimate worse than others. I mean let's assume Alex Smith really plays well, Charles helps him out, the defense doesn't fall off much and the special teams gets their act together. I can see them winning some home games and grinding out some other wins. But their ceiling is 8 wins. You go over there, though, and they were so angry at Cassel, Pioli and Crennel that they really believed simply removing them makes them SB contenders.

It does not.
The Chiefs underperformed last year the way they overperformed a few years ago when they went to the playoffs and were promptly murdered by the Ravens. Reid and Smith are upgrades, but there are still some really fundamental problems on defense, both on the line and in the secondary as well as a lack of legit threats in the passing offense other than Bowe. I think there is also a real question mark when it comes to how Smith will perform when exchanging the 49ers offensive line with the much less vaunted Chiefs line.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs take 2nd in the AFC West at around 7 or 8 wins this year, but anyone who thinks the Chiefs is a good team is probably deluding themselves.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote