Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #42
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Lots of solid advice here. However, the best relates to how do you view it?

BHHC is an amazing company, and it certainly would boost your career as an actuary, which is way different than pure finance like most are commenting.

The deal will be why? Why would you interview with a company in the first place, if you do not want the actual job? If you like the job, then you get into the rest of the deal about moving, but it is always about why am I doing this. If its a stepping stone, USE it. If its a career, then being In Nebraska for an extended period could be an issue. If it is what people would think you should do, then don't go unless its what you want to do.

Motives, expectations, and desires are what drive people to be good. Why would you take the job? Really ask yourself that, and then and only then will you have your answer. We can only guide you.

I like what Med and Meck both said.

Like Med said, you interviewed for a reason, they had something your interested in. Your young, why not go find it, learn for a couple years, and if nothing else you have it on your resume, that and some great contacts should you impress would serve you well in the long run.

Like Meck said, follow your passion. If this is what you went to school for then take it. If however your already second guessing it, open a ski shop or something that follows a passion of yours. Would Meck have found his if he didn't take that corp job for a couple years? Who knows.

Like I tell my 10 and 5 year old kids, everything you do is a choice YOU made. Good or bad you have live with it, trick is making the right choices, and if you make a bad choice making enough right choices to fix it.

If there is another company you want to work with then do it. Buffet's job should get you in a good position for the rest of your career but once your there you have to be able to hack it and impress. If your heart is not in it then you will have trouble.

I used to laugh when people said follow your bliss but they are right. You have to be able to do the things that make you happy.

If your only concern is where you live, you know you can impact the area and make it better by getting involved with the community. Plus you might find out you enjoy pigs and corn and stuff. Plus Buffet still lives there, he likes it enough that it makes him happy, you just have to look closer, you will learn that it is not where you live but who you surround yourself with that really makes the difference.

Good luck with YOUR choice!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote