Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #98
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Last year was Dumervil's sixth year in the league. He was also a fourth round selection. Why should I compare a rookie's # to a veteran NFL player? You are limiting the scope of your argument to make it harder for me to come up with a rebuttal. Us picking at #28 has nothing to do with this. I am not advocating drafting his replacement at #28 if he is dished in a trade for Revis. Though I do agree that the premium pass rushers are drafted early. There have been some great ones who came later in the draft.

How about Justin Houston? Third rounder. Second year in the league and he had a great year. (OLB 3-4)

How about Geno Atkins? Fourth round selection, third year player -- "In 2012, Atkins recorded 53 tackles, forced 4 fumbles, set a franchise record with 12.5 sacks, and was selected at a starter in the pro bowl as the Bengals made the playoffs for the second consecutive year."

Henry Melton played DE for Texas in college and in a few years, became an extremely productive player moving outside and in on the DL.

Three pro-bowlers selected in the middle rounds off the top of my head in the past several years. This list does not include players who are better run defenders than Elvis, and have a good amount of sacks each year at their position.

You are trying to act like a pass rusher in the NFL isn't replaceable. Over 40 guys in the NFL had 7.0+ sacks last year, 20 with over 10. Stop kidding yourself. Dumervil's replacement (if he is traded) may not have 11 sacks his first year, but he can certainly get there.

And no, I don't think 9 sacks a year would be hard to replace (years he played DE, OLB not figured in because we do not run a 3-4) by rotation or draft choice down the road.
You're the one that said "contribute right away."

Doom was a top ten pass rusher last season in total pressures. Revis, if healthy, would be better than him. But giving up Doom plus picks I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Also, he played standing up this season, and he played with his hand in the dirt when we were a 3-4. Separating out his seasons like that is stupid.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote