Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #85
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
I understand that. I'm saying people (Peter King for example) are acting like the Ravens structured the contract so that there isn't a huge cap hit these first couple years, and then when there will be a huge cap hit in a few years they will just re-negotiate. I'm saying if that is true it is a stupid system to be able to give a guy $100 million but never have it hurt your salary cap.
I think the way the Ravens front office is trying to structure things is so that they can basically keep the team together for another run in the playoffs, hence the $6.8m cap hit this coming season. However, they are basically just pushing the big cap hit down the road and it will strangle them the third year and they cannot re-negotiate it then. They will absolutely have a huge cap hit, $30m+ for Flacco and they will have to pay it. It's only after the 3rd year and all of the guaranteed money is paid out ($62m) that they can open up a re-negotiation. At that time Flacco can tell them no and then baltimore will have to release him which might cause another cap hit/payment to occure.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote