View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #1104
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain
A hilarious and heartbreaking satire about war, sports and American culture. I know that sounds like a book blurb, but it really is all those things and, for me, lived up to the substantial hype it has gotten. Highly recommend.

CivilWarLand in Bad Decline by George Saunders
One of the best short story writers in America, he has a new book out that I haven't had a chance to read yet, but this one is a great place to start. Like Halftime Walk this is mostly satire about America, but framed in various strange dystopian future settings. A lot of dark humor and a lot of fun.

The Passage by Justin Cronin
The first in a planned trilogy (book 2 just came out late 2012), it owes a lot to Stephen King: government experiments gone awry, paranormal child, post-apocalyptic society, super human monsters...Cronin mashes a lot together, and some of it works better than other parts. But on the whole, for a 700+ pg book, it's a solid pageturner. And it's written better than your average thriller, though still falls back on some of the genre cliches (e.g. every chapter has to end on a cliffhanger sentence).

I think it would definitely be up the alley of a lot of people here who enjoy post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, fantasy etc. Plus Ridley Scott bought the movie rights, so this is your chance to be the a-hole who complains about its accuracy when it comes out!
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote