Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #48
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Your numbers are off on a large part of that, case in point releasing Moreno would only save $1.7M on the cap and DJ restructured so we don't really know what his cap number might be.

We do have plenty of people we can cut to free up more space, sure, but if we retain our guys that we actually want (Vickerson, Harris, Carter, Colquitt) we're going to need those cuts to have any substantial breathing room at all.

The Broncos aren't in bad shape or looking at cap hell, I'm not suggesting that. The team can definitely make some moves. But this team isn't going to have a ton of cap room either and going after the big name guys will really tie their hands at filling other holes.

We'll be in the lower end of the middle of the pack in free money to spend. The FO can go for one or two magic bullet solutions and hope to fix everything else through the draft and our in-house players getting better. Or the FO can spread that money around, targeting multiple young players and trying to hit on who's ready to break out and who isn't, addressing every problem but none with a definitive upgrade.

The best path all depends on how badly you think we need solutions at:
MLB
CB
S
RB
#3WR
C

If you think all of those need upgrades we won't get it done with name players. If you think that C, S, and #3WR are acceptable as-is then we can go for two name players and a first round selection to answer the other three (just an example, could be that some view MLB, S, and RB as the problem positions, not CB, or any other permutation).
Your right I saw the Cap hit of 3.x mil on KM and assumed it would be erased with a cut/trade. The bonus money must have thrown me.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote