Thread: Clady Tagged
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #43
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Can't really disagree if the price paid for him is two first round picks. Clady's health issues the last few seasons makes giving him a long term deal risky and he wants stupid money. He should have known he was getting tagged when he turned down a deal last off-season worth more per year than the tag had any chance of being. The Broncos save nearly ~$1M by him turning down their offer last year if he plays under the tag this year.

As TonyR pointed out, the free agent OT pool isn't too bad. If Clady does walk I'd like to see the team address the position with either Vollmer or Jake Long. Long is something of a roll of the dice based on health concerns himself, but if we're paying him half of what Clady would get from the tag we're talking about a savings of ~$5M. That is another very good starter we can add via FA.
I agree with all of this, which is why I really like the move and these were my thoughts also. I do however think Long is going to want way north of $5 million a year. But there are plenty of LTs available.