View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #44
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Funny, you said .223 AR's should be banned because of a recoil advantage. But it has no advantage over a .22 on recoil. And .22 cals kill far more people every year than AR-15s (or .223's in general)
No, I said (or tried to at least but got distracted and didn't finished the sentence) that at worst, I'm on the fence about a ban for a very specific subset of semi-auto rifles (i.e. those that are commonly referred to as assault rifles). I also said nothing about stocks.

Quote:
Simple science, Fed. F=ma if you remember back to Intro to Physics. It's true that a .223 cart delivers more velocity than a .22lr. But by upping the acceleration on that (slightly) larger caliber, you deliver even more force to the stock (aka recoil)
trying to be condescending about physics to me eh? You should probably know, I have a bachelors in Physics.

In any event, you seem lost. The problem with a .223 is that it delivers a very high amount of muzzle energy (and high killing power) yet maintains a very manageable amount of recoil when fired from a rifle platform.

Quote:
Is there some invisible recoil to lethality sweet spot that you're aiming at that none of us know about?
YES. That's the whole damn design strategy of the NATA5.56! Jesus you are ignorant.

Quote:
Anyway, you say a .223 should be banned even if it's far less powerful than say a .308, only because it has less recoil. Yet you say a .22 should still be legal, even though it has even less (and yet kills more people).
A .223 has much less recoil than a .308, but still delivers a very deadly projectile.

A .22 is deadly, but not to the same degree as a .223. A 22 is a very small projectile (30 grains) fired with a muzzle energy of about ~150ft*lb. A .223 is a small projectile (60 grains) fired at a muzzle energy of 1300ft*lb (10x the energy).

The difference?

A .22 will put a small, neat hole an inch or two into your body (not a good thing, but readily survivable even without prompt medical attention).

A .223 will enter your body, yaw (tumble end over end), fracture and SHRED your insides like razor blades. Very similar to what a hunting round (a common use for the .308) is designed to do. The biggest difference being a hunting round expands and then shreds, whereas a .223 does not expand due to design (to comply with international treaty). This lethality is all done with a manageable recoil in a .223 platofmr, the, as you call it, sweet spot.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote