Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #150
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
It's a huge waste to draft a guard as the #1 pick of a draft. I have history on my side to prove this. If you research the history of the NFL draft, please tell me the last time a guard was taken #1 overall. I'm very curious myself because I don't ever remember it happening. If it did happen, were they playing in leather helmets too?

Ok, now tell me how many offensive guards there are in the Hall of Fame. Furthermore, tell me how this number compares to how many QBs there are in the Hall of Fame, or how many RBs there are in the HoF, or WRs, etc.

I'm not saying the guard position is not important. Obviously you absolutely need them on the offensive line and they are a building block and yes, they do very important things like protect the QB and help open holes for the running game. That being said, how much does a guard make in comparison to a QB or a RB?

The salaries alone should tell you the value of the offensive guards. So, let me recap. You don't take an offensive guard as the #1 overall pick because it's a waste of a pick. The proof of this is 3 tier:

1. Salaries, that is, how much a team pays the player dictates importance.
2. The Hall of Fame, how many offensive guards there are in it dictates importance.
3. The draft itself, how many offensive guards have been taken #1 overall?

So, if kc takes a guard #1 overall it will be extremely odd IMHO.
What is a huge waste at number one is drafting a bust. Lots of those could be had at the top of this draft this year.

The top guards are making just under 10 million a year now. I've already explained this on the board to another poster. Carl Nicks 5 years, 47.5 million dollars with 30 million of that guaranteed. That is the bar now and the injury risk alone is worth paying guards moew then running backs.

Honestly just who do you feel is the best player in this draft not a LT because KC already has one of those?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote