Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #149
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out how drafting a guy that could be a 10 time pro bowler has lost anything. Just because you don't think a OG should be drafted 1st doesn't mean he isn't one of or not the best player in the draft. I'm a big fan of drafting the best player in the NFL draft when I have the number one draft. Otherwise what the hell is the point.
It's a huge waste to draft a guard as the #1 pick of a draft. I have history on my side to prove this. If you research the history of the NFL draft, please tell me the last time a guard was taken #1 overall. I'm very curious myself because I don't ever remember it happening. If it did happen, were they playing in leather helmets too?

Ok, now tell me how many offensive guards there are in the Hall of Fame. Furthermore, tell me how this number compares to how many QBs there are in the Hall of Fame, or how many RBs there are in the HoF, or WRs, etc.

I'm not saying the guard position is not important. Obviously you absolutely need them on the offensive line and they are a building block and yes, they do very important things like protect the QB and help open holes for the running game. That being said, how much does a guard make in comparison to a QB or a RB?

The salaries alone should tell you the value of the offensive guards. So, let me recap. You don't take an offensive guard as the #1 overall pick because it's a waste of a pick. The proof of this is 3 tier:

1. Salaries, that is, how much a team pays the player dictates importance.
2. The Hall of Fame, how many offensive guards there are in it dictates importance.
3. The draft itself, how many offensive guards have been taken #1 overall?

So, if kc takes a guard #1 overall it will be extremely odd IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote