The Kansas City Chiefs are Elated to have their guy available at the 19th pick in the Draft.
Sheldon Richardson, Defensive Tackle, Missouri
6’4”, 295 lb.
The Chiefs weighed their options heavily between ILB, DT, and QB, but felt the talent of Richardson was too much to pass up.
Richardson's best game statistically came against the best team, Alabama. Richardson had 14 tackles and a sack against the Crimson Tide. At 6'4 295 lbs, Sheldon projects to be a 3-4 end or a 4-3 tackle in the NFL.
- Play recognition: He's able to read a play quickly and react. His recognition is evident when you see how fast he gets into the backfield at times. Not only does it take speed and strength to make tackles for a loss (10.5 last season), it takes the ability to read where the play is going, and Richardson does that.
- Swim move/Power move: I'm really impressed by Richardson's swim move. He has the ability to use speed and finesse to get past the lineman at times, he doesn't always have to use brute force. Richardson also is strong enough to push the offensive lineman back and to the side.
- Pursuit: He's fast enough when a quarterback gets out of the pocket he can still get to him for a sack, and when a ball carrier gets passed him he can still catch up and make the tackle. For a lineman Richardson can run sideline to sideline well and takes good angles to get to who has the football.
- Misses some tackles: Will have to improve on squaring up and making sure he's in the best position to make the tackle.
- Over-pursuing: It will be very important for him to maintain the edge in a 3-4 defense. His aggressiveness has made him the good player he is, but he will have to pick his spots more in the NFL or a big play is going to happen for the offense. He allows open lanes at times and has to work on clogging the them.
- Strength: Don't get me wrong, he's a strong dude. But there have been times where he's been handled by an offensive lineman and he isn't able to get pressure or drive the offensive lineman back, he's the one getting driven back. This doesn't happen to Richardson all the time, but it's something to be aware of. He will have to get stronger.
Pick was made at 10:46 AM Mountain Time. The Chicago Bears and SoDak Bronco are now on the clock.