View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
COWheatGrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
this. Even though I was getting tired of Jim Tracey, and his resignation came as a pleasant suprise to me, obviously it appears to have caught the Rockies completely off base. They are gambling on Walt Weiss but Walt will find out fast that ownership and Dan O'Dowd are just fine with losing. WW will do the usual 3 years to average a .450 winning percentage before he retires or walks away, or O'Dowd fires him.
The ownership deserves some credit for locking up Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez to long-term contracts. This isn't Miami or Kansas City where management is just spitting in the fans' faces.

O'Dowd has gotten way too long of a leash though. The 2007 and 2009 seasons aren't enough when you consider the entire body of work over 13 years. They had a good scouting run in the mid-to-late 2000s, but the system has dried up more recently.

I do think Colorado is a difficult environment to sustain pitching success over time and it's going to be a challenge for any baseball think-tank. I applaud O'Dowd for experimenting with something different last year with the four-man rotation and 80-pitch counts.

But all in all, the Rockies could use some fresh blood in baseball ops. Arizona and San Diego have consistently produced more competitive teams in the time O'Dowd has been there.