Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #369
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Not to brag, cause there are plenty people stronger than me in the weight room, but I do 225..20 times as my warm up. I never had a strength and conditioning coach like all college programs have.

Point is, I'm always intrigued by athletes on the bench, I personally like when the time is put in the weight room and film study. You want a player who eats, sleeps, breathes, and lives football and all aspects to bring the best out of him.

When I watch those OLine struggle with 225, to me it's kind of pathetic.. And I would think WRs and CBs should be around 15 reps given 225 usually weighs more than them..not always does gym strength translate to the field, and field strength to the gym, but it's a pretty good indicator..

Mike Adams of the Steelers wants to be an Elite LT, I liked his technique at the Senior Bowl last year, but benching 225, like 12 times and weighing 300 plus pounds is pathetic. Does it mean he's lazy, unmotivated, or just not gym strong? I wonder how much scouts, personnel, and coaches hold the weight room into account? My guess is not very much..
Bench is a poor indicator of playing strength, leverage and technique plus natural strength equals field leverage to move people. The weight room stuff should be to hone their natural abilities. When you get some guys who under perform the position average on any skill you have to go back and find out why. The scouts already have a weight room report from their strength and conditioning staff in college. It tells them what kind of dedication they put forth and what attitude they have while working out.

If the report says he lifted 225 12 times last year, and he only lifts 8 in Indy you have to go find out why. However, someone who lifted 12 but hits 22 in Indy you really have to find out if they are pulling a Brian Cushing workout regimen

It's all about getting an accurate assessment of who they really are. That is because most of them are all lying about stuff somewhere. Especially in the combine preparation portion of stuff.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote