View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #98
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Price, the only thing keeping our D from being a 3-4, is Doom being in a two point stance. Wolfe played like a 3-4 DE not a 4-3 DE.. The hybrid scheme we run accentuates what Miller does best. I would not mess with the combo.. You put a smaller body in front of Miller and it compromises our scheme..
I think, to win the Superbowl, the Broncos are going to have to play a majority of the playoffs (against elite QB's) out of the Nickel formation (4-2-5), just like the Ravens did. There are a few factors at play here:

1. The Broncos CANNOT stop the run effectively out of the Nickel formation. There are two reasons for this. a) Their LB's (Woodyard, Brooking), aren't good enough at fighting off blocks and making the tackle. b) Their DL is too slow in pursuit to the outside (Vickerson, Bannan, Wolfe) or easily blockable (Dumervil). Replacing Brooking with someone better (Irving?), and replacing Wolfe at DE with a faster player (Montgomery) will help alleviate this.

2. Von Miller is able to be double-teamed when the Broncos are only rushing 4...rendering the Broncos pass-rush non-existent. Adding another bonafide pass-rusher to the mix is the only way to solve this problem. In the draft, that would either be Sam Montgomery, Alex Okafor, or maybe Kawann Short. Though, I don't like the idea of adding Kawann Short, because I want Wolfe at UT.

3. Champ is on the verge of not being able to guard elite WR's in single-coverage anymore. This severely comprimises the Broncos secondary scheme, which compensates to account for the relatively weak coverage ability of every one else in the secondary (Harris, Carter, Adams). They NEED to go with 2-deep Safeties against elite QB's (for the most part) from here on out. Replacing Carter (at Nickel CB), is the best way the Broncos can remedy this situation for now. Allowing for 5 dB's (instead of 4), gives both Harris and Bailey help over the top (which they both need now).

All Defenses are in effect like a house-of-cards, where one weak link will make the entire scheme crumble. The Broncos are no different. Playing with a 5 man line (3-4 as you call it), leaves the Broncos too vulnerable in the secondary. They won't be able to beat elite QB's that way, and they know it.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote