View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #300
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
No, clearly I wasn't looking over his shoulder. I'm just going by what he typed. He starts saying he really wanted to tip 20%. On his $54 meal, that's $10.80. He left $5 instead. Less than half that. Read his post again. The service doesn't sound bad. The server didn't offer him a drink, that's about it.

Some people you just can't please in this business. They're going to find any reason (i.e., "the bill got brought too early and it totally ruined my night!") to stiff a guy or complain. He probably fished for a free dessert from the manager too.

Here's the thing. No sob story from me. My Dad owns and has owned various restaurants throughout my life. It's what he does. I've done everything from bus to manage. Now again, no sob story. I'm not going to tell you it's so hard. Because it's not. And this isn't a moral issue, either. It's not anyone's responsibility to make sure a waiter has food on his table when he gets home.

But let's not make up things in our heads to justify it. Just be honest. Just say you're not big on tipping. That's fine. This is America. We're free to make our own decisions. That paragraph was him trying to justify his actions to this board. Just be honest, that's all.
There's really not that much to do, though. Something like offering (or not offering) a drink can be one of the half dozen interactions you might have with the waitress so it can be quite disproportionate when you look back at the evening's service.

I don't think I realized you were criticizing his story more than just the tip. I interpreted that wrong and thought you were jumping on him for an opportunity to call him cheap. As long as everyone agrees bad service should equal bad tip, I guess we see eye to eye.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote