Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #36
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I can name about 4 I think will be ok, but I'll pm you before the OM draft

These are some guys who are Playing LB right now who are later draft picks and are successful:

Navorro Bowman 3rd round SF, ALL Pro (play a 3-4)
KJ Wright Miss St. 4th round SEA, Probowler - OLB
Justin Houston Georgia 3rd rounder KC
Nigel Bradham FSU 4th rounder BUF
Daryl Sharpton theU 4th rounder HOU
Kavell Connor Clemson 7th rounder INDY
Arthur Moats JMU 6th rounder BUF

All are smaller than prototypical size and all were starting last year. That does not include the Colts leading tackler Jerrell Freeman who took over for Connor when he was injured last year. He was a UDFA and led the team in tackles at 6'0 and 234. He played better than his numbers too.

The prototypical guys with talent get drafted early. The guys who are not prototypical but can really play and contribute get drafted 3-7.
I never said you couldn't get guys later in the draft. What I'm saying is that the prototypical size you see at MLB hasn't changed and most MLB fit that.

You said, "Also, the prototypical size hoopla has got to go. For every guy who actually fits those characteristics, there are 4 guys who don't who get the job done on Sundays." I think we both know you were exaggerating.

Looking at the names you provided:

Navorro Bowman 3rd round SF, ALL Pro (play a 3-4 and he is 6'0 and 242)
KJ Wright Miss St. 4th round SEA, Probowler - (OLB who is 6'4 and 246)
Justin Houston Georgia 3rd rounder KC (play a 3-4 and is 6'3" and 258)
Nigel Bradham FSU 4th rounder BUF - (OLB who is 6'2 and 240.)
Daryl Sharpton theU 4th rounder HOU (play a 3-4 and 5'11 and 234)
Kavell Connor Clemson 7th rounder INDY (again play a 3-4 and 6'0 and 243)
Arthur Moats JMU 6th rounder BUF - (OLB who is 6'2 and 250)

Even the players you mention fall into that typical mold (as that groups average height/weight is 73.42" and 244.7 lbs. The lone example in your list is Daryl Sharpton as he is shorter/lighter than the standard deviation I defined above and he plays in a 3-4.

BTW, my math sucked on the previous....the average height for starting 4-3 MLB is 73.57". I'll correct it.

Last edited by Rascal; 02-12-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote