Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #31
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
The whole LB fascination with getting one early has to stop. Ther are real good LB's out there who are NOT going to be day one or early day two picks. I would love to try and get Danell Ellerbe from BAL and let him roam the Mike from FA. I loved him coming out and he is going to be the forgotten FA in BAL I think, Bmore could add to that as I know he has seen him play there.

Also, the prototypical size hoopla has got to go. For every guy who actually fits those characteristics, there are 4 guys who don't who get the job done on Sundays. Size is the Least correlating variable in determining NFL success, despite the media's obsession with it, because its NOT subjective.

And, you can get all pro caliber LB's from the middle rounds of the draft. Heck some recent pro bowlers have been UDFA's. LB is fading in todya's College game with spread offenses. It also means there value is diminishing in today's NFL draft. CB and Safety are higher than ever, but LB, unless you are a 3-4 Rush LB is not what it once was. Especially with the amount of 3-4 defenses now outnumbering 4-3.
I'm not saying we have to get one early, but the guys I mentioned outside of Gooden are all going to be Top 64 selections. I think that is a given. I even dimissed some of the chatter (regarding Brown not being big enough for MIKE) by comparison of Jon Beason.

I'm not saying we can't find a guy later one who would be a scheme fit and produce. I think there are a lot of interesting prospects in the 3-5 range that can come in and be starters. The problem is, a lot of those guys (that I like) have big durability concerns, especially the MIKE's in this class: Mauti, Skov, Cain and Taylor.

I think Cain is going to surprise a lot of people. He might be small, but the guy has instincts, great form and has some of the best side to side and downhill ability of any linebacker in this class. I think Gerald Hodges would be a great selection for us and I seem him going in the third round or so. Rev would probably love that selection. I should be quiet about players though. . . don't want to get guys stolen in the OM Draft.

Thanks for bringing up the discussion about the value -- I think the Broncos FO may share your views considering where they have gotten their LBers the past two drafts (3rd, 5th or 6th for Trevathan and UDFA for Johnson). All I'm saying is that I would be for the right guy at LB early on if that player seems like a better value to me than who else is there.

Last edited by Requiem; 02-12-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote