View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #74
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
I have presented strong supporting evidence.
I beg to differ, Mark. You've posted one man's "model" which is without benefit of peer review. Neither you nor I have the expertise to affirm or deny McCanney's hypothesis. It therefore remains unsupported.

Quote:
It is a fact that a comet's coma and tail change size and shape as a comet approaches and moves away from the sun.
Well, sure. And astronomers already know this:

Quote:
As comets approach our Sun [within about 450 million kilometers (280 million miles)], they heat up and the ice begins to sublimate (change from a solid directly to a gas). The gas (water vapor, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and traces of other substances) and dust forms an “atmosphere” around the nucleus called a "coma." Material from the coma gets swept into the tail.

As comets move close to the Sun, they develop tails of dust and ionized gas. Comets have two main tails, a dust tail and a plasma tail. The dust tail appears whitish-yellow because it is made up of tiny particles about the size of particles of smoke that reflect sunlight. Dust tails are typically between 1 and 10 million kilometers (about 600,000 to 6 million miles) long. The plasma tail is often blue because it contains carbon monoxide ions. Solar ultraviolet light breaks down the gas molecules, causing them to glow. Plasma tails can stretch tens of millions of kilometers into space. Rarely, they are as long as 150 million kilometers (almost 100 million miles). A third tail of sodium has been observed on Comet Hale-Bopp. http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/ex...ts/background/
Quote:
The equations presented by McCanney in his plasma discharge comet model very accurately predict this behavior. In case you don't know, prediction is the essence of science.
But there's already explanation of a comet's tail. What does McCanney's model provide that the standard model does not? And what sort of peer-review has McCanney's model received that lets us believe it should supplant the standard model?

Quote:
The snowball comet model has no such predictive capacity.
Predict what? I did a quick search of "comet tail" on Google and came up with a lot of hits, including NASA. Seems we already know what causes comet tails.

Quote:
Indeed, it's a joke -- and you are clowns to continue to support such nonsense.
Again, Mark, you continue to take away any potential for credibility by being abusive. There's absolutely no reason for the name-calling. However, may I also continue to point out that simply asserting the current scientific models are "nonsense" does not make them so; nor does a non-peer-reviewed fringe model without any peer-review support displace the current model on your say-so.

Quote:
Comets are hard objects like asteroids.
An unsupported assertion.

Quote:
They can be any size -- even planetary size.
Another unsupported assertion.

Quote:
The size issue is crucial in the case of Venus, as I will explain in my next couple of posts.
You needn't bother because your "next couple of posts" will again be based upon unsupported assertions. Were science that easy, we'd all have flying cars and perpetual motion machines.

Last edited by orangeatheist; 02-09-2013 at 06:45 PM..
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote