Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #144
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.
I was raised with the idea that 15% is a lunch time tip while 20% is a dinner tip. The service will always dictate how much the tip is, of course. However, if the wait staff did a good job it was 15 or 20 depending on which meal was being served and how it was being served (if you went to the buffet to stuff your face or had to walk up to a window to pick up your order, the tip rules changed).
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote