Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #67
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I worked in the industry while in high school. I worked at the Broadmoor Hotel (Charles Court) and at the Briarhurst Manor in Manitou Springs as a busboy. If you are good and went way beyond the call of duty, you made more than the customary 15% back in the day. My waiter would always ask me on larger parties if we should just add in the 15% which was common even back then.. late 1970's, We NEVER did that because we knew we busted our ass for every customer that came in and we always would be left more than the 15%.

A lot of people have zero clue on what "TIP" stands for.

T - To
I - Insure
P - Promptness

If you are not getting Prompt service, you are a fool to pay them like they did.

PS: I tip my hair stylist 33%, Khan, ask you wife if that is enough

PSS: I was in Greece last summer and they look at you like you are crazy if you give them a tip.
That story about tip being an acronym is bogus. Acronyms were not widely used before the mid 20th century and people were tipping well before that.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...lse_etymology/

Quote:
"Tip” (and “tips") is often said (incorrectly) to be an acronym of:

. To Insure Promptness.
. To Insure Performance.
. To Improve Performance.
. To Insure Prompt Service.
. To Insure Proper Service.

The 1895 New York (NY) Tribune published an etymology of the wrord “tip” stating that an old time English tavern had box for coins, upon which was written the words “To Insure Promptness.” In a widely reprinted 1919 newspaper story, it was stated that the King’s Head tavern in London “100 years ago” had a box upon which was written ‘To Insure Prompt Service.” The false “tip” (or “tips") etymologies were frequently reprinted in early 1900s newspapers.

The word “tip” is cited since the 1700s as a form of the word “tip” (meaning “to give” or “to hand” or “pass” or “to let one have").

The word originates from the 16th century verb tip, which meant “to give, hand, pass” and “to tap”, possibly being derived from the Low German word tippen, meaning “to tap.” The modern German term for a tip is the unrelated Trinkgeld, literally “drink money.”

This is similar to the urban legend where people say Sh*t was an acronym for Ship High in Transit or that Golf was an acronym for "Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden." Acronyms weren't used until the military began the trend in WWII and then it didn't spread through the rest of the country until well after that. Because of their ubiquity people incorrectly look for them in old words whose etymology is forgotten.

As for what to tip your hair stylist, I would tip her whatever she's worth. If she gives you a good haircut and you go back a lot, 20% or more should be good. I tipped a lot if she did a good job and was attractive. In fact I tipped attractive waitresses and stylists more than unattractive ones. This is incredibly prejudiced, obviously, but that was my practice.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote