View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #23
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
A long time ago I read the first 7 or 8 books and lost all interest. Recently I read the first 7 or 8 again and lost interest. I probably enjoyed the first 3 and made myself read the others. He could have done this series in so much less and actually made them interesting.

Out of the fantasy I've read these are pretty bad. Almost every character is unlikeable. Everyone of them becomes annoying and it wears thin.
Had a similar experience.

I first picked up and read Eye of the World just after The Great Hunt came out. I was about 18 and really enjoyed them, so much so that when The Dragon Reborn came out I re-read the first 2 books. Me and 4 friends all started reading the series.

But these books get really ponderous after the first few. They lack for suspense. The characters really get tiresome and I found I didn't care what happened to them. They do become annoying. When I finally finished the 6th book, I was done, and knew I would never touch the 7th.

Of the 4 friends that started this series none of us ever made it past the 6th book. Maybe it gets better, I dunno. I think you really have to be a hardcore Fantasy novel addict to make it all the way through this series.

A book I found alot closer to Martin's ASOIAF, that has the harsh reality of war, rape, torture, and characters you'll love (and love to hate), is Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. Follet's not afraid to snuff out central characters like Martin does.

Jordan's books lack suspense and edginess. Not trying to sh*t on Jordan's work, some of the books were OK, they just wear you down after awhile. I kinda feel like I just eventually outgrew them.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote