Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #60
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
The US just isn't very good. The expectations for this team are way to high. The only reason we play in world cups is because our region is so weak; the US is not a top 32 team.
Exactly, that is why I think the Eurocup is better. Many teams that will qualify for the world cup will not qualify for the Eurocup.

Quote:
I mean, it's pretty bad when 4 of your best players are Germans that have no chance to play for Germany
To be fair, the German squad is loaded with talent. Many world cup players will not make the German squad.

Quote:
When the US does get a real quality player (Rossi) who was raised in the states, he takes the chance to play for Italy instead. Can't say I blame him, it's just a reflection on how bad the US team really is and a nod to his exceptional skill level that he can actually play for a quality top international side.
he is a traitor. However, he trained mostly in Italy, so i can see why he decided on the Italy instead.

Quote:
Outside of Dempsey, Howard, and Bradley, the rest of the top 24 players are either not playing regular club football, or playing in 2nd/3rd tier leagues, or plodding away on sides that are fighting relegation or if lucky, mid table. These guys also generally aren't getting the experience of playing in the champions league; if they are lucky, maybe they get some europa league action every few years or so. That's just not a good place to be drawing the majority of your international players.
I think Donovan has proved his worth at Everton. Jermain Jones is a good talent. We also have some very young players coming up.

Quote:
The team is just a mess and has been for awhile. They just don't have any real international talent outside a handful of players.

I would give them a few more matches before calling it quits. You don't need a strong club players to be an effective world cup team. Look at the English and Dutch team. Incredible club players, but always under achieve. Yes, the Dutch team made the finals last world cup, but they might as well stay home during euro cup.

Also teams like Korea, Japan and several African teams always do well in the world cup without star club players.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote