Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #101
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I bet whoever this guy is no longer has or works on a farm based on his work hours! This describes ZERO farmers I know. I don't think you know the extent of how demanding farming really is. The cattle, sheep or any other livestock you may have to keep an eye on year round. In North Dakota the summers can get into the 100's but generally in the mid 80's. While the winter can be very brutal with temps below 0 and ever colder with the wind. You almost gotta take care of these animals like their your kids. Every summer planting crops, cutting hay etc for said livestock. God for bid its a dry summer and don't get enough hay to last the winter. Or none of your crops turn out due to lack of rain or because a hail storm came through and wiped it all out. All that would be profit down the drain. Now that farmer needs to buy extra hay from an outside source etc. If you hear a farmer complaining its probably because his machinery is broke, coyotes or mountain lions got to his livestock, no rain, hail storm came through. It'd be kinda like someone stealing from you. Sorry but you're assessment of a REAL farmer is way off.

His assessment might be a little harsh (and could be offensive, but I wasn't offended and my ancestors have been farmers since Christ had a crew-cut, my parents were the first generation of anyone in my lineage to not be on a farm), but it isn't completely off.

In the scenarios you outlined, if things didn't produce and the crops didn't grow -- they would get compensated for that if they have insurance. That is why there is the FCIA and RMA. It is accessible to almost everyone at no cost as long as they are growing an insurable crop or have the qualifying livestock, it's part of the USDA.

The numbers Meck gave are just a hairline of the actual costs of subsidization that goes towards the farming community. I deal with this sort of thing every day and there is debate about it weekly in the Department of Agriculture and within its associated programs and services.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote