Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #50
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Name me one "civilization" that has not sacrificed humans, tortured, enslaved, raped and pillaged? Name me one religion that has always existed in peace with those of other religions and those of other races. The only difference is the magnitude of atrocities committed and this is mostly limited by the availability of victims.

Name me one society where murder, theft and arson has not been punished? you mention the Aztecs, which had a court system that operated with fairly codified laws of punishment for various crimes. Murder was no less illegal to the Aztecs than it was to the Vikings, the Romans, the Japanese, Polynesians, Mohawks or than it is in Arizona. In fact the Aztecs may rank ahead of many of those societies in terms of civility as slaves in the Aztec empire had legal protection which they didn't in Rome or among the Vikings or in Alabama or Japan.

No society exists or has ever existed where murder or theft is accepted - and human sacrifice whereever it has been performed has ALWAYS been performed as a religious act - in almost every society religion is in fact the ONLY way to justify taking a human life....
The Babylonians codefied law but they pretty much killed you any time you did anything wrong. It was simple but effective and had nothing to do with religion. It had to do with keeping order. Most would argue that is immoral. Not sure what point you're trying to make but it's doing more to make my point than yours. If your point is "everyone has some morals" I wouldn't disagree. I took issue with you suggesting "morals are essentially the same through time and history and aren't influenced by religion." That second point is categorically incorrect.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote