View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #48
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I honestly have no answer for you. I admit much of what I take is on faith. I have had spiritual experiences that are powerful and moving and were as life changing as a deep love or a harsh cruelty. What's interesting and disappointing is there are a number of posters on here who will tell you emphatically that what I experienced was of evil design because they're "way" is right and mine is wrong.

Spirituality is deeply personal. I cannot discount the wisdom and power I hear from Budhists who have found profound meaning in their journey's just because they don't believe Christ died for their sins. I have met many who profess to be spiritual, regularly attend church and go to meetings and seem to be shallow, petty and cruel - devoid of any growth that spiritual progression is supposed to afford.

I have wondered how some can experience these things and others cannot. I theorized perhaps God is preparing them for something else, or perhaps some of us evolved to have these experiences because it created a shared experience that bound early mankind together and afford hope in what was an incredibly bleak existence.

I don't know, SonofLeeloLang. I just know what works for me. And I completely accept and applaud that what works for me won't work for others. Even my own brand of Mormonism is different than the guy sitting in the pew next to me this Sunday. For me, this doesn't weaken my own faith, or weaken religion in general. It speaks to the universality of God's ability to touch each person in exactly the way they need to be. Perhaps God has found the best way to mold you into who you need to be is through an atheistic approach.

I don't know. That's the one thing I am sure of.
Spirituality is part of humanity, imperfect as we are we can not comprehend all that we are and all that the world around us is. This failure of comprehension is spirituality, when we glimpse that which we can not understand and wonder or dismay at the marvels.

Spirituality is as individual as aesthetics, on the most profound level we can be moved by beauty or horror, but the beauty that moves one may be lost on another.

Sadly some organizations have decided to adopt an absolutist view, and only those things and phenomena that are officially supported are acceptable and all others are evil and must be shunned. This is a sad and archaic condition that works to control and limit those who cannot and those who will not see beyond the cage they are put into - but today when development and technology continually tear down cages and break new ground, we must accept that absolutism is a thing of the past, a thing of the days when answers could not be offered to simple questions and when knowledge was isolated in ivory towers.

At the end of the day, the truths we all need to know and accept are that we are all human and we are all capable of causing great joy and sadness, both to those we know and those we don't. You should never be ashamed of who you are and you should accept that if someone does not accept you it is their failing, not yours and when you fail to accept someone else it is because your failing not theirs.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote