View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyDegrees View Post
The existence of a god that plays an active role in human affairs is one of the most utterly stupid and ignorant things a person can believe in.

God wouldn't stop the holocaust, but he'll help Ray Lewis play linebacker.

God wouldn't prevent 9/11 but he'll cure your Aunt of cancer.

I've never understood it, never will.
I tend to agree with you, but have just grown to accept it. As an athiest, the idea of a higher power is absolutely absurd to me, and incredibly frustrating that people use it as some kind of a compass.

i still remember the day I officially realized I didnt believe it. I grew up with Jewish faith and my parents would send me to Jew sunday school, and one day they brought a halocaust survivor in to speak to a bunch of us 10 year olds. And he told some story about almost getting caught when he escaped Auschvitz and how that was some kind of miracle. And i remember thinking, wait a second, 6 million others died, why was saving YOU a miracle? It's not like you went on to do anything other than live a normal life.

But I'm hardly surprised by that stat. As someone said, if most people believe in God, then why shouldnt they believe a God affects the outcome of a football game. But I do question whether or not anyone on the Mane TRULY believes Boob Mojo or sitting in your lucky seat truly affects the outcome of games. I sincerely doubt it.

I have to wonder that, if society is still around in 5,000 years, if the idea of God is looked upon widely as absurd, much like today's society views Greek Gods.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote