View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #56
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I fully agree with this, but I think the NFL already does a really good job at it.

Remember the trajectory of Raheem Morris' career? He went from quality control to position coach, skipped coordinating altogether and became a head coach in the blink of an eye. Tampa's GM (a white guy) saw something special in him and took a shot. He ended up being wrong (or maybe just too early), but he took a shot.

Leslie Frazier's career was shot out of a cannon too, etc etc etc

Mike Zimmer with the Bengals has DRAGGED that team to the post season several times in recent years, has been coaching in the NFL for nearly two decades, excelled in every position, and has been a "hot coaching candidate" for several years now... still in Cinci. Must be race related? ...or his vision that he's sharing in interviews isn't up to snuff. I'll bet on the latter.
Frazier and Morris are perfect examples of how a structured program for former minority players could lead to fast rising coaching careers. Surely, among the ranks of former minority NFL players, there are a number of potential Morris' and Frazier's who simply lack the proper connections and just need an opportunity to get their foot in the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You are out of your ****ing mind.

...And, for the record, the Shanahan, Reid, Fishers of the world are better than the best minority coaches available... and JUST AS IMPORTANTLY (here comes that pesky old equality thing that you keep dodging again) better than the best WHITE coaches available. Their track records kind of bear that out, kiddo.
Yeah, he could have forwarded his argument better if he would have mentioned guys like Norv Turner, Chan Gailey and Mike Mularkey (i.e. white coaches who have been failures as an HC multiple times).
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote