View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #46
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I don't think there's any intentional racism going on, but I think there is something to the "hiring who you know" theory. The problem is that there isn't a big enough pool of black assistant coaches in the league to begin with. So, the only obvious black candidates for HC jobs this past offseason were retreads like Lovie Smith and Jim Caldwell. If the league wants more diversity in the head coaching ranks, they need to start by looking at the assistant level. I've read in couple of places the idea of the league starting a program for former minority players who have an interest in coaching. Every team has a number of "quality control" coaches, so players in that program could be placed in such roles as kind of an internship. If they continue to show interest and aptitude, now they have their foot in the door and a better chance of advancing up the ladder. Something like this would work better than forcing teams to conduct a token interview from a limited pool of candidates. The limited pool is the problem.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote