View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #323
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Maurice is a very unimaganitive coach, however I couldn't help but laugh when you called out Mo, and two posts prior you were talking about the dump and chase being in vogue. The dump and chase was the catalyst for Mos unimaganitive style, it was basic, and it got him fired.

BTW Mo went to the Eastern conference finals with the canes in 08-09, so I don't know if it was all luck. Basic works sometimes, well...until your team fails to execute, and you have a player like Chad LaRose on your second line.
I believe the dump and chase can work if you have sufficiently good defensive basics. The Canes basically rode Arturs Irbe until the wheels came off - he had insane numbers that year, not the first time a super hot goalie takes a bad team to the big show - just look at Martin Brodeur.

Maurice is far from the only coach and very far from the best coach who uses dump and chase. Basics do work, especially when the league as a whole is moving towards complex systems relying on smaller players and puck possession.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote