View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #315
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I don't know, I see him as really good for the fundamentals. To me, he is like a Glen Hanlon but with more success. I feel like the caps learned a lot from Hanlon and then Boudreau came in and let them fly basically.

Same thing with Therien/Bylsma IMO.

edit: speaking of coaches, my top 5 (in no particular order)

Laviolette, Tortorella, Tippett, Trotz, Babcock
It is difficult to evaluate coaches long term, the metagame changes over time which means certain styles will be more or less effective. I think the current metagame is really heavily focused on skill and puck possession which allows hyper defensive strategies relying heavily on speed and transition for offense can stand out. In a different metagame with more physical play a hyper defensive style wouldn't be nearly as effective and in a metagame focused heavily on dump and chase or trap a more flowing offensive style can really shine.

After they banned the trap by taking away all the hooking and holding in the neutral zone, we saw a team like Anaheim come up and succeed with an extremely physical and aggressive style with big players. That became the metagame, teams tried to adapt to that style and that allowed the puckmoving teams like Detroit and Pittsburgh to stand out since smaller puckmovers got cheaper to sign. Puckpossession has now become the name of the game and size and physicality has taken a backseat, this allows teams like St Louis to play a defensive style to gum up the middle, keep shots to the outside and rely on quick transitions to generate open scoring chances. I expect to see more teams move to that style and implement dump and chase as the main offensive strategy again within the next 3-5 years.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote