View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #223
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
It's to the same poster. One who doesn't watch any actual games/tape of college prospects, just reads stats and has an opinion. And we have already been down this road on Moore with this particular poster, it's wasted effort to do it again.
Though Rahim Moore misjudged the ball (and barely missed it), Tony Carter didn't do anything on the play. Carter was supposed to jam Jacoby Jones and cover him all the way up the sideline. He did neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Also I think the front four will be better with a bigger DE with more speed then Wolfe.
Impossible, unless you plan to draft J.J. Watt, who is the same size as Wolfe, but much faster and quicker. J.J. Watt has a rare combination of size, speed, and strength that has probably never been seen in the NFL, and probably won't be seen again for several more years.

It's preferable for a strongside 4-3 DE to have 4.60-4.80 speed (with great size , and moves) in order to get around the opposing Right Tackle by any means necessary, while also being able to stop the run. In the Broncos Base Defense there is virtually no chance for a QB sack the way the Defensive Line is currently constructed. Wolfe is too far away from the QB at DE and too slow, and Dumervil can be double-teamed. Vickerson and Bannan have no pass-rush ability.

Sam Montgomery brings that burst that is necessary to close the distance to the QB quickly from the end position. He is a better prospect than Chandler Jones was in 2011 (same size, but much faster). Montgomery has the height to bulk up to 280 lbs. easily if that's what you want (DB4L), while remaining relatively fast. If Montgomery really does fall to the mid-20's the Broncos should do whatever it takes to get him. Other than him, I would possibly consider some of the other higher rated DE's but still need to study them a bit more...at initial glance, Montgomery looks like a better fit than some of the other prospects.

I spent some time last night looking at John Hankins and John Jenkins for the NT position. John Hankins may be a good impact NT, but won't be available when the Broncos pick. John Jenkins is a weird prospect to me. He has extremely quick feet, but he's slow as molasses in the open field, and has trouble switching directions. His functional strength (both upper and lower body) is highly questionable. I would like to see how many bench reps he puts up at the combine. It's too early for me to tell if he can become an impact player in the NFL or not, so I'm reserving judgement for now.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-30-2013 at 09:02 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote