Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #43
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I can not believe you of all people are being so Myopic here. Is there anyone here who is more qualified than me to evaluate both of these teams having lived and breathed both the whole year?

Grigson won 9-8 in a very deserving way. Elway would have won if one of those votes were switched! It is not like he was snubbed here at all! Both of them did tremendous Jobs this last season and both teams improved dramatically, kudos to both guys.

I just hate the Elway was snubbed crap. He was one vote changing hands from winning.

As for the draft though, its a no brainer Grigson killed it this year better than anyone else with first year production from the rookie class. 6 of his first 7 selections started or played meaningful minutes this season. The only one who did not, was Josh Chapman who played 5 games without an ACL for Alabama in order to secure the NCAA title. And, he selected him in the fifth round in order to basically redshirt him when he NEEDED DL help this season. That was a ballsy move, but since only 2 other 5th rounders did anything for their teams THIS year and Grigson drafted one of those 2 in Vick Ballard as well, I call that a pretty damn shrewd move.

While I loved DEN's draft overall, it was nowhere close to being in the same breath with its first year effectiveness. Only 2 of the guys played meaningful minutes this year out of the 7, 3 saw spot duty, and 2 never saw the field basically.

Did Grigson inherit the first round pick of the decade with Luck being there, yes. However, that was not all he did at all. Just like signing Manning was not all Elway did at all. However, you are also kidding yourself if you think this team would have made the playoffs if Manning did not work out or got hurt. I could have easily replaced Tombstone's "Luck" post with "Manning" and made the EXACT same argument he did. Without Manning, Elway is not up for executive of the year either.

As for Elway and Manning, here's the deal. Manning had choices. As for Luck, Luck had no choice, he was going to the Colts. Manning had choices and he chose the Broncos. Again, I think Elway gets dissed a little because people are all like "Well the Broncos had Manning so that's why they were so good" and completely forget that Elway had to go and get Manning.

All in all I think Grigson is getting the votes because no one expected the Colts to make the playoffs and they did. On the other hand people can look at Elway and say "he got Manning" which is a tad disingenuous IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote