View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #181
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I do not think you jetison Rahim Moore like trash brother, they have a lot invested in him. However, I also want to address the position to keep Rahim honest in the offseason, because he did not improve his pass coverage techniques last year at all, and he needs to be properly motivated to improve. He has all the physical elements, but playing safety at this level is all about being mentally superior and diagnosing situational and individual tendencies of teams. The great safeties are not just good athletes, the Reed, Polamalu, Berry, and Thomas's of the Elite are world class play diagnosers. This is the most important thing Moore lacks at this point, outside of someone cleaning up his footwork and decision making skills in pass coverage.

What I would readily advocate, is there are a TON of solid CB conversion to FS players in this draft that could also come in and play Nickel CB/Big nickle type. I have already eliminated 5 potential CB's as much better FS prospects. One of these in the middle rounds like 4-5 would be a much better option than another early safety IMHO.

As far as getting a First round CB at 28, I doubt one of the Elite guys will be there. However, the second tier is HUGE this year and we could get one at 57 IMHO. If one is there and they are BPA I would be OK with that, but at this point I sincerely doubt that will occur.

I also think we could get a real solid MIKE in the 3-4 round range. I will say this, the Positions of need are looking real deep for DEN this year. They could be lined up to catch dropping value at their draft spot and still fill the needs. It's still too early to be sure, but I like the class for what I perceive to be their needs.
Great post. I know you're not quite through your analysis, but drop a couple names that would be ripe for a CB to Safety conversion. Would JDR/Fox be savvy enough to do this? Remember just how conservative they are.

I agree that this is shaping up to be a great 2nd round for DB's. Either a CB-conversion or Safety can be had at #56. It's an extremely deep class for guys who are not elite (2nd round guys), but can definitely be major players with proper development.

Regarding MIKE: I think all the impact players will be gone by the Broncos pick in the 3rd round...which makes nailing the top two picks even more important. I think Manti Te'o is a Pro Bowler. Kevin Minter will definitely be a solid starter and could play at a Pro Bowl level. Chase Thomas is a truly intriguing prospect as a 2nd rounder (thanks for bringing him up in an earlier post). Outside of them, I would take a flyer on Reddick in round 3, but would consider myself lucky if he could overcome his missed-tackle flaw. So while I agree that LB is deep this year, it takes a truly special player to be an impact 4-3 MIKE in the NFL...in this draft there are only three sure-fire bets of LB's that have enough bulk, skill, and leadership to play NFL MIKE: Manti Te'o, Kevin Minter, and Chase Thomas (who would be the ultimate steal at the end of round 2).

Maybe a draft with Sam Montgomery or D.J. Fluker (#28), Chase Thomas (#56), and Jonathan Cyprien (#84) would be right up our alley...while picking up a WR in the 4th, and a kicker late.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote