Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #121
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I'm very uninformed about the players coming out this year, really didn't follow college ball much.

But, I was impressed by FSU's Vince Williams (?) last night, thought he looked like a nasty Middle LB prospect. What's the word on him (production, projected draft position, etc)?
Williams is an interesting prospect. He missed all of 2009 with a back injury, so he is a RS Senior. His first two years he was a back-up player for Florida State, his last two seasons he assumed the role as starter for the team. He has also been known to be one of the most humble and well-respected players on the team. The coaches rave about him and believe he has a great attitude and mental approach to the game.

I thought Williams had played well the past two seasons for the Noles. He doesn't have out of this world production numbers, but he is an absolute stud in the run game and pursues the ball carrier very well. I think the past two seasons total he accrued 120 tackles or so as a starter, a couple of sacks, an INT and a few FF. Keep in mind his production isn't going to be bat**** insane like a lot of prospects because FSU always has talented players who swarm around the ball.

He is a down-hill, two-down run-thumper who could easily replace Mays in our line-up if we want to go with an ILB that has trouble guarding against the pass. He is a missile out there and had a very good Senior Bowl week. He is probably going to go somewhere in the fifth or sixth rounds. I think he is a prospect who can be a valuable special teams player for a year or two, but down the road -- could be the kind of guy who can start for a team and not *miss much* when doing so.

So in short, he is a bit of a project, but he will carve a niche for himself in the NFL as described above. It may not sound that appealing, but everyone needs a player like that.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote