View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #81
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The point is, government can either limit the type of weapons allowed, or it can't. If it can't, then I should be able to own my own suitcase atomic weapon if I can manage to put one together. Or a fully auto 50 cal. Or a rocket launcher. Or everything from there in a continuum down to a slingshot if that's the way you want to read the 2nd amendment.

Bolt action rifles could be used for hunting. If you need a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round clip for hunting, then you need to find another sport, because you obviously suck at it and you don't get the ethics and anti-cruelty side of hunting.

Everybody tries to simply ignore the part about "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..." The founders were strongly opposed to standing armies. Clearly, a big piece of the amendment concerned the ability of the government to raise an army of Minutemen, if the need arose. We now have a "well regulated militia" that is twice what the rest of the world has combined. I doubt we need to worry about Homer keeping that musket over his mantlepiece.
The point is for the PEOPLE to retain the right to bear arms, against it's own government if need be... Just like the American Revolution.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote