View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #73
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
There's nothing in there about bolt action rifles either. That's a weak argument.
The point is, government can either limit the type of weapons allowed, or it can't. If it can't, then I should be able to own my own suitcase atomic weapon if I can manage to put one together. Or a fully auto 50 cal. Or a rocket launcher. Or everything from there in a continuum down to a slingshot if that's the way you want to read the 2nd amendment.

Bolt action rifles could be used for hunting. If you need a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round clip for hunting, then you need to find another sport, because you obviously suck at it and you don't get the ethics and anti-cruelty side of hunting.

Everybody tries to simply ignore the part about "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..." The founders were strongly opposed to standing armies. Clearly, a big piece of the amendment concerned the ability of the government to raise an army of Minutemen, if the need arose. We now have a "well regulated militia" that is twice what the rest of the world has combined. I doubt we need to worry about Homer keeping that musket over his mantlepiece.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote