View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #801
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
We have enough gun laws. I have no problem closing the gun show loophole but that's it. Full auto are banned. An assault rifle is just a rifle that LOOKS scary but it is just a rifle. Shoots one round at a time. Pistols are semi automatic. Shotguns as well. Hunting rifles. Do we ban them next?
Laws and bans don't prevent bad people from doing bad things.
Just be honest, the real agenda is to rid the law abiding civilians in the US of any firearms.
This is an uninformed argument I hear WAY to much. Military personnel fire their weapons in single shots, its not the number of bullets per trigger pull that is the problem, it's the number of shots a shooter can discharge in a minute. That is where these weapons become extremely lethal. The "scary" accessories you are referencing are not purely aesthetic either. The pistol grip handle reduces recoile allowing a shooter better control over the course of continuous discharge, sights greater accuracy over distance, adjustable stocks for variable environmental manipulation (ie. you can shorten the weapon for tighter confines), and the muzzle of an AR 15 is designed to regulate the heat of the weapon by controlling discharge for continuos firing. Don't even get me started on magazines, that's just obvious. Semiautomatic weapons are a problem no matter their design. When the second amendment was incorporated into the constitution, the term arms was used in reference to muskets. It would take a skilled soldier up to a minute to reload a musket. The writers of the second amendment had no way of conceiving what an "arm" would become, seeing as the idea of individualized semiautomatic weapons came into play 100 years after its ratification. In order to orchestrate a mass murder on the scale of those seen in the United States over the previous decade in the late 1700s, one would have to enlist the services of a small army.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote