View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #33
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Wasted resources.

How many of those 1st and second round 1k rushers made the playoffs (4)...how many with the team that drafted them(3)....and how many are left(2)?

As much as I defend Moreno, because he does have talent, we didn't need to draft him in the first round. Running back is the most plug and play position in the NFL. It is a position that is very statistically dependent on the offense, and one that can be hard to judge on numbers alone. It's also my favorite position, and the one I failed to be successful at in college.

A commitee approach is the best practice for running backs.

Think team success, not individual stats.

For example: Since the Cowboys SB suns in the early 90's, only 2 teams have won the Superbowl with a high round Running back that they drafted: Baltimore in 2000 (Jamal Lewis) and the Colts in 2006 (Addai).
I'm not advocating to take an RB in the 1st round this year. But not everybody can evaluate RB's as good as Shanahan and Bobby Turner.

Of the 4 remaining teams in the AFC playoffs, 3 of the 4 starting RB's were drafted before the 10th pick in the 3rd round (Foster is the other).

Of the 4 remaining teams in the NFC playoffs, 3 of the 4 starting RB's were drafted on or before the 1st pick of the 3rd round (and you can pretty much guarantee the Packers are going to pick an RB in the first 2 rounds this year).

It's just as important to have a high draft pick starting RB, as it is any other position. The Broncos don't have Shanahan, Turner, Gibbs, or Kubiak anymore. And we don't run the 2-back ZBS either. The RB in a single-back set MUST be able to pick up yards consistently without a lead blocker. You need to have a really good RB to at least take the pressure off the QB, or your toast. Same goes for Manning and the Broncos.

McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman were all high draft picks.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote