View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #240
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
It was stupider (or should that be "more stupid" for grammatical correctness?) to fire Marty and hire Norv... to date, they've never returned to 14-2 and were hovering in the 7-9 win range 4 of Norv's six seasons. They only went deeper in the playoffs (than the Divisional game that was Marty's last as their HC) one time and still fell short of a SB appearance; much less a win.

As for Marty's teams ever winning any playoff games... seeing as how it was in the AFCCG that John sent Marty's Browns home in January of '87 and '88, well... you don't get to play in the AFCCG without winning in the Divisional round of the playoffs, right? Anyway, I count 5 playoff wins for Marty's teams, including the most recent playoff game the Chefs ever won on January 16, 1993.
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/SchoMa0.htm

I don't care how much an owner has bought into a very young, unproven HC's scheme... he has to rethink things and begin to suspect that said unproven HC might not be the answer after all... if the team slides to its lowest win total since 1971 (1982 wasn't a full season). After the 6-game winning streak to start the '09 season, something bad must have happened during the bye... 'cause the team proceeded to go on 4 separate 4-game losing streaks in the remainder of his tenure. I don't care how you spin it, Lonestar... 28 games coached... with a win/loss total of 9 - 17 (subtracting Studesville's 1-3 record) does not earn another season in which to continue down what had obviously become a downhill spiral. The only responsible thing Bowlen could do at that point was to take the team out of free-fall and try to salvage as much as he could while there was still something left to save. You can't realistically think there was any chance that Bowlen would have decided vying for "worst team in the league rather than merely the runner-up" and #1 overall in the 2012 draft was a viable option. Even if it would have netted us Luck.
While I understand your point.

Pat also has to look at the talent the Josh. Has brought in and wither believes that talent will come around soon or not. And if he brings in another HC will he start over also.

Pat has seen enough if the CLE, STL, OAK and CIN debacles to know sometimes you just have to stick with the guy you liked. Itnisnnot like he did not have the pick of the litter when he chose Josh.

IMO had it not been for the spy gate I think he would have gotten another year. At worst he would have hired a qualified GM and maybe even John to bring the fans back knowing there was a star holding the team together.

Perhaps had John said he had to go then maybe Pat/John would have pulled the plug.
No one really knows why pat choose like he did.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote