View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #247
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
We already have a MLB in Irving who doesn't see the field at Mike because he can't fight through traffic and shed blocks so he's been tried as a backup to Von this year. It's extremely rare to find a three down Mike that's at home in coverage and can shed blocks and still make plays.

This is why the progression of Raheem Moore/Chris Harris has been so vital for our defense because those guys flow to the ball carrier extremely quickly and don't miss tackles preventing those big plays on the ground.

I can certainly understand the argument that with guys like Bannan/Unrein/Jackson our DL played well, but it's a flawed argument because against the cream of the AFC (Houston/New England) that same DL was blown off the ball and lost the battle in the trenches. That's what we're up against. Not the mediocre teams in the AFC but the playoff calibre teams that we'll face again and again in the playoffs. And to compete against that we need superior DL that will take away the run and make Schaub one dimensional and so on.

We have around $10million extra cap dollars to work with on defense with DJ/Mays not really in the picture next year (at least not under their current deals). That money has to be dedicated somewhere and I don't see a free agent MLB that's worth that. DL though, absolutely.
This is exactly what I have been trying to nail home but as you can see several posters feel our DL is dominate and leading the league in sacks means bring the same group back. But we break down deeper, so we are on the same page here.

If Minter is gone before we pick, I would not be the least bit surprised to see us not address MLB until a middle round pick 3-4 range. Someone like Jackson, Reddick, or Bostic.. and I'm sure there are some others.

Just curious where you got your cap figure from?

But in free agency, I would add a veteran DT and I think there are stop gap solutions at MLB. Personally I like Larry Grant, he's not going to break the bank, and it will allow a drafted MLB time to develop or a player already on the roster, Johnson/Irving? I also like Erin Hendersons game alot, he's a big WLB for Minnesota, 245 pounds. While he hasn't played MLB, his game style, size, and athleticism would allow him to be a great 3 down MLB provided he can make the transition. But he would also be very affordable.

Then your looking at an Urlacher if he isn't retained, maybe a Ray Lewis, the speculation here in Baltimore is they may release him, and same thing with a player like Bart Scott, who was almost traded then released this year from the Jets.

Personally I like the price tag, age, and upside of Larry Grant and Erin Henderson, that will allow flexibility in the draft!