Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #48
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
While keeping large chunks of McDaniels' staff, FYI.

I'd say THAT is the big thing Bowlen has brought to this franchise. Fair evaluation for all. Matt Russell wasn't shown the door when McDaniels left, even though he was a McDaniels hire. A lot of the current coaching staff were brought in by McDaniels and when he was fired Bowlen didn't do what most owners do and cut the entire staff, instead he let Fox and Elway evaluate and decide who stays and who goes.

No grudges, no slanted perspectives. That's a huge part of how you need to run an organization this large from the top, with a "I hired the right guy for this job so I trust him to hire the right guy for that job" mindset.

Shanahan did great with this early on but fell into a quagmire of nepotism and surrounded himself with yes men. When it was clear that became a detriment to the team (wanting to keep Slowick) Bowlen let him go.

McDaniels brought a lot of new blood in from successful organizations (the aforementioned Matt Russell worked with NE and Philly, working under guys like Dimitroff and Grigson), when he personally failed to show the maturity needed to be a leader of men he was removed but the baby wasn't thrown out with the bathwater.

It'd be real nice if he could spend money on par with the other top 10 earners in the league but that's the reality of his ownership and I'd take a Bowlen who understands that owning an NFL team is largely about stewardship and community over those who see it as a tool for personal aggrandizement like the wealthiest owners who spend big money.
Yeah, People forget that Pat promised a lot of things when Shanahan was canned back in 2008. A lot of those promises went unfulfilled, like when he promised the organization would be structured better and it didn't happen, leaving McDaniels to do everything himself.

It didn't work out and it made the perception be that the org was toxic. Lot of coaches turned Elway down to do interviews to coach for Denver, even Jim Mora Jr wouldn't interview for a DC opening when Fox got the job.

Elway deserves a lot of the credit for getting us out of the ditch with his leadership and decisions. I had my doubts Elway would be successful given the fact that he had zero experience in an NFL front office.

Pat deserves credit for bringing Elway back into the fold and spending the money to get Manning.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote